This recipe is a mega special treat from Handsome Tom.
(Yes, I know. I’m a lucky lady.)
What you need…
The roasted vegetables:
1/2 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
2 parsnips , peeled and cut into chunks
1 red onion cut into wedges
olive or rapeseed oil
2 peeled garlic cloves
300g sirloin steak
For the salad:
A handful of chopped cashews or hazelnuts… or a bit of both
1 tbsp pine nuts
250g spelt (already cooked and left to cool)
2 handfuls of rocket
For the dressing:
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp extra virgin olive or rapeseed oil
What you do…
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C if a fan oven)
2. Remove the steaks from the fridge and set aside at room temperature.
3. Put the squash, parsnips, garlic and onions in a roasting tray, drizzle over your chosen oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
4. Give the tray a good shake and make sure all the vegetables are coated in the oil and seasoning.
5. Roast the vegetables for 30-40 mins or until the vegetables have softened and slightly browned.
6. Heat a frying pan and once it’s very hot toast the chopped nuts and pine nuts until slightly brown. Set aside and wipe out the pan with kitchen towel.
7. Season the steaks and cook for 2-3 mins each side for a rare steak.
8. Once they are cooked, transfer to a chopping board, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for a few mins.
9. When cooked, remove the vegetables from the oven and remove the garlic cloves.
10. Using the back of a spoon or your hands, squeeze out the soft garlic pulp into a separate small bowl, discarding the skins.
11. Mash the garlic with a fork, then add the dressing ingredients to the bowl, season, and whisk to combine until smooth.
12. Put the spelt in the roasting tray with the vegetables and add most of the hazelnuts.
13. Add half the rocket. Drizzle over half the dressing and toss everything together.
14. Tip any juices from the steak over the veg and spelt and thinly slice the steak.
15. If you’re not serving in the roasting tin, transfer the salad to a big serving platter and top with the sliced steak.
16.Add the remaining hazelnuts and rocket and season with black pepper.
Serve the extra dressing on the side, perhaps with some flatbread.